My Grandma's Gnocchi, Sauce and Meatballs Recipe

I wrote this recipe down by hand while my grandmother taught my sister and I her magical way of creating one of my all time favorite foods, gnocchi! I also took a video of her which I will post too, because Italians do a lot of things that they don't write down which are key to the process of making things come out perfect every single time. I will be making this real soon since we are on lock down and doing crazy things like making bread from scratch! I am one step away from churning my own by butter. This weekend I am going to make homemade popovers for breakfast (or eggs Benedict, haven't decided yet) and this epic gnocchi meal for dinner.

Ingredients

  • 32 oz container of Whole Milk Ricotta
  • 4 eggs
  • 2-3 pinches salt (1.5 teaspoons if you are into exact measurements)
  • A sprinkle of pepper
  • A sprinkle of cheese (my sprinkle is way bigger than Rose's)

Mix ingredients well (fold together)

Slowly add 2 cups flour (the dough cannot be sticky or it will not roll!)

Add 1/4 cup more flour & blend as needed if dough is too sticky

Get a board to roll out the dough

Knead like pizza dough!

First, cut into strips

Then, cut into 1 inch pieces

Roll with a fork to make little indents on them


Boil in water until they float (maybe 30 seconds or so)


Homemade Sauce
  • 2 cans Contadina Roma Style Sauce w/ sea salt 
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • Pepper to taste
  • Garlic powder to taste

Heat olive oil in man over medium heat. Add tomatoes, garlic powder, pepper and 1/2 can water. Add 2 teaspoons salt at the end to finish the sauce.

On medium cover & cook for 10 minutes or up to 1 hour if you add meatballs.


Meatballs
  • 1 3/4 lb ground beef (85% lean, 15% fat)
  • 1 cup Italian Style Breadcrumbs
  • Sprinkle pepper 
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 2 scant teaspoons salt
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • Grated Parmesan Cheese (as much as you want I guess, there were not real measurements lol)
Heat oil in pan

Brown meatballs on medium high heat on all sides
Add to sauce, cover and cook for 1 hour

Comments

Popular Posts