Our Valentine's Dinner at Home

I recently listened to a podcast (Mama Minimalism) that focused on elevating the everyday and using your fine china on weekdays. Why save it for a special occasion when fancy table settings can make you feel special and cared for all the time? This got me thinking, why don't I just stop worrying about fine linen napkins and table cloths getting stained? Why cares? They are meant to be used and loved.

So, I decided to give a special candlelit dinner with the family a try. On Valentine's Day, we spent the night at home. I dressed the table in my favorite table cloth and put a beautiful, low floral arrangement in the middle of the table, flanked by brass candle sticks with bees wax candles. I pulled out the Juliska bamboo plates I bought for our 10 year vow renewal and put them out with the monogrammed napkins I had in a box with the tags still on them. Truth is I was afraid to get these dirty, which is the reason they have gone unused up until this point. When I think about that, it makes me sad. Linen napkins are more sustainable and beautiful than paper napkins will ever be!

When my four year old got home and saw the table setting I designed, he exclaimed something like "Oh! This is so beautiful". Later when my eight year old walked in, he let me know right away he thought it was "a really nice set up" as he put it. It was clear immediately that the extra effort I put in was delivery some special joy to the household.

As we sat down to our candlelit meal and started to eat, my eight year old son exclaimed "Wow, I have never had a dinner like this...this is the best dinner EVER." Later he asked if we could have fancy candlelit dinners every week, he even suggested we do it every Friday and call it "Fancy Friday." I think the kid is a genius for that cute naming reco and we are implementing this tradition right away.

The weirdest part about this whole experiment is that my kids were better behaved with fine china and candle light. They were more careful with their food and more respectful. The vibe was so much calmer than the rushed crazy dinners we usually have with our toddler squirming away from the table or screaming about his vegetables. There was none of that and I honestly believe the ambiance and special care I put in made all the difference. Sure, my beautiful, monogrammed napkins might have spaghetti sauce all over them now from my four year old, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

* Update: I washed the dirty linen napkins with soap and water and they are perfectly clean and ready for another meal : )

Tablecloth: India Amory
Napkins: The Loveliest
Candle Sticks: Andover Thrift
Floral Arrangement: Les Fleurs
Plates: Juliska Bamboo
Bamboo Forks: Pottery Barn
Glasses: Anthropologie
Lettuce cup and saucer: Tory Burch
Chocolate: Ducao







Comments

Popular Posts