Kitchen & Dining Room Spring Tour

It's peony season! Yay! And that is really the only thing that gets me through the month of April because this girl hates rain (I do try not to be bitter about it nearly ruining my wedding or anything...but really it's not my BFF). "April showers bring may flowers", I sound like a lunatic muttering this to B on the way top the bus stop with the umbrella over head each morning:)

Every time I see peonies in the florist section at Whole Foods, I run over to them and hug them like they are the last flowers on the planet. I throw them in the shopping cart and every single time Matt smirks and says "Do you really need those Erin?" The answer is YES I NEEEEED them. I need them...more than groceries, more than coffee, more than the babies food (okay maybe not that)....but really I NEED those peonies. I do. And so he humors me. During this season our grocery bill goes up by $20 each week until that sad day them there are no more peonies.

But today's post is not about peonies, it's about my kitchen/dining room and Spring cleaning. As you guys know I have a house filled with boys (a dog boy, two little boys, a husband boy)...and things get really messy. Most of the mess is actually mine though so I can't blame the little ones. There is always stuff errrrrrywhere. Shoes, paperwork, kids art, random toys, chargers, backpacks. It is a disaster and during the weeks I have taken off this Spring I started to really think about how to organize all the clutter. I am going to share some of the things that work for my family to keep everything under control so it doesn't look like a toy store exploded.

Here are my stop 5 tips for storage of day to day necessities when you have kids.

1) Lots of Baskets - to store everything (backpack and lunch boxes!)
2) A Work Table - Put a desk, secretary or console in reach as a staging area (to handle bills, kids school forms etc)
3) Boxes and shelves! Shelves can look pretty and store daily essentials. The ones on my bookcase are loaded with crayons, work books, scissors and other kid supplies so the dining room can double as a craft and homework space
4) Ottomans and Garden Stools - If you have an entry way you might not need this. But for those of us tight on space (we have no real entry way in our home) stools and ottomans are great docking stations for purses, backpacks and sunglasses.
5) Wall Storage - We have a wall file system that we use for incoming mail. It's a great place to keep bills and stuff until we are ready to go through them all at the end of the week.

Dining Room Tour

Table: Crate & Barrel
Bookcase: PBteen
Chairs: Serena and Lily
Desk/Vanity: West Elm
Fiddle Lead Fig: Home Depot






































Kitchen Tour


Counters: Carrara Marble (honed)
Pendants: West Elm
Island: Home Decorators
Bar Stools, Canisters and Cutting Boards: Homegoods
Kitchen Towels: William Sonoma
Paint: Benjamin Moore Balboa Mist











Comments

Popular Posts